Extra UK

distributor of world leading cycle brands

News News


Schwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.

Author: Extra UK | Mon, 22 Apr 2013

Topeak sponsored Scott Beaumont of Yeti Racing UK has just sent over a full report from Sundays Brisitsh 4X round in Falmoth, Cornwall.

Here's what he had to say.

Just back home from round 2 of the 2013 Schwalbe British 4X Series which was held at a brand new track in Falmouth, Cornwall. When we arrived on Friday, the track looked awesome. A huge new 4X facility for the UK. 11 turns on the track, 4 of them flat turns, big pro line and a fun rock garden. We walked the track a couple of times through the day and got ready for Saturdays official practice session.

Blue skies and perfect conditions for us on Saturday meant a fun day on the track. There was a lot to learn, but both me and Dave Richardson got to grips with it quickly and we were feeling confident for the race.

Dave Richardson

On Sunday, the skies were grey. It was drybut rain was forecast. Practice went well and we were both feeling great. The motos got underway and it was a bad start for Dave. Leading his first moto, he crashed on one of the lower turns. It was an unlucky crash, but he bounced back to win his next 2 motos and transfer into the quarter finals. The crash in his first moto meant that Dave was not going to have gate choice which could prove to be a problem.

In his quarter final, he made the snap and got away from gate 2. Led the race start to finish and booked his place in the semi final. In the semi final, it was a repeat. A perfect start gave Dave the lead and he just did not look back. So he was into the final. However, the rain was niow falling hard. Dave took the option to change his tyres from Schwalbe's Nobby Nic to a Dirty Dan. It was a move that gave him the edge. A great start and a lead around turn 1 that just grew and grew all the way down the track. A brilliant win that gives him 2 wins from 2 now for the national series and of course the overall series lead.

Scott Beamount

I felt really confident all weekend. Tomas Slavik and Felix Beckeman had flown in to race which added a little spice, but I was looking to try and get the better of them.

In the motos, I won my first 2 races. Then in the third moto I was racing Slavik. He got the snap from the inside gate. I came across to get on his wheel into turn 1. It was a close race all the way down. I was on his wheel looking for a passing place, but just couldn't quite get him. It was good to see his lines and try and use them later when I would meet him again in the final.

In the quarter finals I raced Felix Beckeman. I made the gate and we battled through the first 3 turns. I got into the lead and held it to move in the semi finals. In the semi finals it was a battle with me, Felix and Lewis Lacey. I got the snap and led from start to finish. Lewis held off Felix for 2nd.

In the final Slavik had gate 1, I went from gate 2, Lacey in 3 and track builder Will Evans in 4. I made a great gate and matched Slavik to turn 1. He led into turn 2 but I carried good speed to the inside and took the lead. Slavik then passed me into turn 3. I sat on his rear wheel through the pro line and rocks then went for it to the outside. Through a series of 3 turns I nearly got passed him, but just couldn't quite thread the needle. A slip on the last straight from me nearly caused me to crash but I held on to take 2nd. I was happy to have been involved in such a great final and can't wait to resume the racing with Tomas in 2 weeks at the first 4X ProTour in Poland. This 2nd place finish for me extends my series points lead after 2 rounds.

Latest Articles